This time last year I had no idea that I would be getting married let alone engaged before my twenty-third birthday. As an extremely impulsive person who rarely thinks things through the majority of my family and friends had the same response when I told them that I was about to get engaged to a man I had only been dating for three months: “Are you sure”?
I was always so insulted by this question. As if there questioning my decision was somehow connected to how they viewed me as a person. Did they not think I was capable of making this choice? In reality, their questioning was only because they care and that they know that forever is a long time.
Fast forward to now I have been thinking about the true reasons I believe that this is the best decision I could make in my life right now. Why now? Why so young? Why so fast? These are the questions I am going to attempt to answer.
The Selfish Reasons
- Having a built in support system is my absolute favorite part of being engaged. I have someone that I can confide my deepest darkest struggles too. Not only am I taking those insecurities and hard times to Jesus, but I have a partner in the flesh who can comfort and encourage me to pray and seek out healing and answers.
- Going against society’s norm is always fun. Society says to move in together first, take it slow, get to know each other better, and to play it safe. But getting married young is an adventure. It is not settling.
- Freedom and security come when you are with the person God has chosen. I am secure in God’s promises and in my partner’s faith. This brings so much freedom to my life and it manifests in my friendships, my family relationships, and with my own spiritual journey.
- It’s easier to combine finances, plan for the future, and figure out what we want our lives to be like. We are preparing for a life now instead of trying to push together to completely separate paths years from now.
- I get to be apart of each other’s firsts. I was there for Michael’s first kiss, first credit card, and first biscuit. This may not seem significant, but these are memories that I will always hold close to my heart. The silly things are so much sweeter when it is a first.
We are surrounded by love; My fiancé Michael is the complete and total opposite of me. Where I am loud he is soft, when I am confident he is shy, in every way that I am lacking he is strong. We are the embodiment of ‘opposites attracting’. This will probably lead to come disagreements in the future, but luckily we have amazing people around us to help give us the tools to navigate those hard times. This is one of the reasons I feel so confident in our relationship and future. I am surrounded by so many examples of what a strong Godly marriage should look like. Of course, we will be pioneering our own adventure and our relationship won’t always look like everyone else’s (most people don’t meet on video games), but I feel confident that we have the accountability and oversight to make it work.
He sees me how Christ sees me; One of my favorite things about Michael is that he knows parts of me that no one else ever gets to see. Michael makes me melt. I am not a romantic – and I am definitely not one to show affection, but when I am around him I am different. I find myself writing long mushy messages, buying gifts to surprise him, and trying to cook his favorites foods. He brings out the sweetness in me. When I wonder how someone can love me so deeply and so perfectly I am reminded that He can only love me like this because of Jesus.
It’s more than love, it’s compatibility; Michael is one of the easiest people for me to be around. Not because of his calm nature or easy spirit, but because we genuinely love to do the same things. We have the same views and beliefs and although we constantly challenge each other we tend to come to the same conclusions. We are compatible in almost every area, which makes be together and planning for the future always exciting and never stressful
So, is it fast? Yes! It has been an incredibly crazy past six months. I can’t believe that I have been able to change so much emotionally, spiritually, and my life alter so much physically. I have no idea what the future will hold and that is absolutely terrifying. But, am I sure? Of course I am! I have absolutely no doubts, because I am sure of my God and of my love for my partner and his love for me. I trust that the Lord has a plan for my life, and I know that Michael is the one who will watch that unfold with me. I trust my family and my community to go through this journey with us. I believe that we were made for relationships, and that our marriage will only bring us both closer to God – which is pretty amazing in itself.